Getting seriously injured in an accident can impact your life in every way. Initiating a personal injury case and holding the other party responsible can at least provide compensation so you can work on healing and recovery. If you plan to move forward with a personal injury case after an accident, here is what the general process will look like:
- You hire an attorney—Once the accident happens, your next step is to hire a personal injury attorney. We can provide tenacious, compassionate legal representation when you have us oversee your case.
- A complaint is filed—After confirming that a legitimate case exists, we will file a complaint in court and notify the opposing party. These initial papers will likely include the first court date.
- The opposing party hires an attorney—The opposing party responsible for your injury will likely hire an attorney to represent them in court. If insurance is involved in this process, the defendant will need to notify their insurer.
- Pre-trial and discovery occurs—During the pre-trial phase, you and the opposing party will both gather evidence. At this point, you can also decide if mediation or arbitration is the better fit for your case.
- The trial phase happens—If your case goes to trial, the judge or the jury will determine who is at fault for the accident.
- A settlement is reached—At any point in this process, you and the opposing party can choose to settle your losses. When this happens, we will represent your interests to help you get the best settlement possible.