As I pursue my law degree and learn more about the legal services attorneys in my local area provide, I have found it fascinating to find out more about the different areas of law that exist. Here are some of my findings so far regarding the types of legal services provided by lawyers:
- Business law—Sometimes, business lawyers work on basic legal tasks, such as helping business owners form a company. Other times, business lawyers provide legal services designed to help employers with employment issues and tax compliance.
- Employment law—These types of lawyers handle issues relating to employment. Generally speaking, they make sure that businesses comply with local and federal labor laws. If a business violates an employment law, lawyers in this field are the ones who litigate the issue in a court of law.
- Family law—This type of law encompasses many types of issues, such as divorce, child custody, alimony, adoption arrangements, and more. Since these issues are often emotionally charged, lawyers who provide these types of legal services need to be sensitive to the needs of their clients.
- Criminal law—When a person commits a crime, they often seek the assistance of a lawyer to mitigate the charges brought against them. For example, if you were arrested for drinking and driving, you would want a lawyer on your side to help you avoid severe consequences from a conviction.
- Estate law—Lawyers who provide estate legal services help their clients plan for the future by helping them create powers of attorney, wills, living trusts, and other important documents.